Friday, October 2, 2009

Slow Progress

Okay, I'm not making the progress I thought I would. Hubby is coming over tomorrow night after work, and I don't think either of us has done anything more substantial than "think" about shit. Yeah, that isn't going to bridge the gap! We ned to do some individual work if we ever want to be "good" together again.

One of my goals is to get out of this fucking house. My past job titles have been Administrative Assistant, Project Coordinator, Office Manager, etc. Payroll, scheduling, hiring, training... nothing too fancy, but I always good at my jobs. Very efficient.

But all my experience is a decade old. There are a million girls who can do what I can do. And they probably have more education. The companies I worked for don't even exist anymore. One of my references died of pancreatic cancer, and I can't locate the other one. As someone who used to hire people, I wouldn't hire me... because there's no verifiable evidence that a single word of my resume is true!

Good credit and a clean background is about all I have going for me right now, and that may change if I start turning tricks on Craigslist! Anyone need a kinky housewife with a penchant for inappropriate swearing? Didn't think so.

If I have to go back to school, a real estate license is the goal. Nothing makes me happier than negotiating houses. My mother says I'm crazy... given the current housing market. Her words might be just what I need. I perform very well when I'm underestimated.

If anyone else has a better idea, I'm all fucking ears.




2 comments:

ccw said...

I wish I had some words of wisdom but my resume would look something like: Burger King, Air Force, at home for the past 14 1/2 years.

I think you would be good at real estate. All of your past experience (or what I remember reading) showed that you could kick ass at negotiating, staging, etc. Plus, you are very outgoing, attractive, and likeable. I'd take that any day over the two smarmy men we dealt with when house hunting.

JRae said...

You could temp to easily get back some references and cred if you want to continue on the Office Management track. I don't think you'd have to temp that long to get good references and move on to bigger and better jobs. Maybe 1 year, even less.

And I understand about the non-verifying thing, but surely you could explain this to some extent in an interview- people understand. I think recruiters and temps would be much more sympathetic and have advice about how to get some good references and stuff going again.